As fall approaches, it’s important to soak up as much summer sun as possible.
Learning how to make multipurpose, easy-to-wash-off DIY chalk paint is easy and it’s such a fun activity. Chalk paint is a decorative paint with a characteristic matte finish. This versatile paint can be used on a variety of surfaces and is made of three basic ingredients: water, cornstarch, and food coloring.
Kids can have a blast painting the sidewalk outside, and adults can create chalkboard art that conveys meaningful messages. In this post, we’ll cover how you can make chalk paint, provide printable stencils, and explore inspiration for projects you can take on with your DIY chalk paint.
Ways to Use Chalk Paint
One of the appealing things about making your own chalk paint is the creative freedom you have. Once you whip up chalk paint (of any shade you like!) there are endless possibilities for what you can do with it. Here are just a few ideas for what you can create with your DIY chalk paint.
For Adults (or older kiddos!)
You can use chalk paint to elevate your chalkboard sign to the next level. Use your chalkboard sign to display inspiring messages, funny phrases, or practical notes around your home. Since the chalk paint easily washes off, you can try out all of these ideas (or some of your own) and also update them as often as you like. Switch up your designs daily, weekly, seasonally, or whenever you feel like changing the mood.
Chalk paint ideas for adults:
- Display a daily affirmation or quote of the day
- Make an aesthetic to-do list
- Create weekly menus for your family
- Keep track of groceries or products you need
- Share your favorite joke
- Write up a family schedule
Plus, download this chalkboard stencil pack!
Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
Kids have been brightening up sidewalks with chalk for decades. Chalk paint brings an exciting twist to the classic by letting kids create with a new medium. With chalk paint, kids can continue to create the designs they always have. Hopscotch, four-square courts, and rainbows can all continue to come to life on the asphalt. These letter & number stencils can help them create games, and practice spelling. These sidewalk stencils can be combined in creative ways to make fun animals and objects.
Sidewalk Chalk ideas for kids:
- Freehand your own paintings of anything you can imagine
- Combine basic shapes to build people, animals, and places
- Use the star stencil to create constellations
- Create hopscotch, four square courts, or your own game
- Scatter geometric shapes to make modern art
How to Make Chalk Paint
To make this DIY chalk paint, all you’ll need is water, cornstarch, food coloring, measuring cups, and something to stir with. Just combine equal parts water and cornstarch, add in your desired food coloring, and mix it all together. You’ll find more detailed instructions about how to make chalk paint at the end of the post, but here is some initial information:
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- Measuring cups
- Food coloring
- Stir sticks
- 6 cup muffin pan
How to make your own chalk paint:
- Combine cornstarch and water in a measuring cup or bowl
- Mix until smooth
- Pour equal amounts of the mixture into each cup of the muffin pan
- Add drops of food coloring to each to make different colors
- Mix until blended
Before you get started on making your chalk paint, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Plan out when you’re going to make your chalk paint. Homemade chalk paint doesn’t store very well, so you’ll want to use it on the same day you make it.
- As you’re making your chalk paint, you can troubleshoot the consistency by adding more cornstarch if it’s too runny or more water if it’s too thick.
- When you’re using your chalk paint, don’t worry about the mess! Chalk paint easily washes off of clothes, skin, and surfaces. So don’t fret if kids get the paint in the house, on themselves, or their clothing.
- Don’t apply the paint too thick. Add a thin layer of paint so that it sticks to the surface and won’t crust and peel off. Thin layers also help the paint dry better, which is important since the color often doesn’t completely show through until the paint dries.
Final Thoughts of DIY Chalk Paint Ideas
Making your own chalk paint is easy to do and can provide hours of fun for the entire family. Bring a pop of color, beauty, and creativity into your life with a chalkboard sign that you can permanently display in your home or a fun art project that can help you pass the afternoon. Find more details and inspiration in the step-by-step guide from Apartment Guide below!